Echo Lake Park’s main feature is the mill pond at the center of the park. Amenities include a fishing and observation pier, 1.5-mile nature trail (mostly gravel surface and shaded), pedestrian bridge over a spillway, picnic shelter and playground. There is a one bass per day limit in the pond. No boating and no swimming.
Echo Lake was formed in the mid-19th century from Meredith Branch, a 3.5-mile stream between Broad Street and Chickahominy Swamp. During the late 1800s, the lake powered a flour mill. In 1909, Jacob E. Lewis, an African-American farmer and preacher, bought the property around the lake. The lake served the black community as a popular recreation area during the 1920s. By 1940, much of the activity has subsided except for fishing, picnics and occasional baptisms. Henrico County purchased the property in 1981 and developed the site as a public park.